In episode 25 of Micro Entrepreneur: the magic of starting small, I had a great time talking with Dee Blick, best-selling author, speaker and small business marketing guru. Dee is a Chartered Marketer, CIM Fellow, blogger, columnist and writes for many magazines. She has 31 years experience in marketing, copywriting and public speaking.
Dee’s interview spans 2 podcasts. This week we’re talking about her fantastic new book ‘The Ultimate Guide to Writing and Marketing a Bestselling Book on a Shoestring Budget’; and then next week we’ll be discussing the great marketing strategies Dee has implemented over the course of her career, so don’t forget to tune in then!
This week’s guest
Dee’s 4th book was released to a fab review in ‘The Sun’, and it won the revered, independent book review site, the ‘BookBag’s’ top 10 non-fiction books of 2014.
The Ultimate Guide to Writing and Marketing a Bestselling Book on a Shoestring Budget – had 15 five-star reviews within 4 weeks of launch and a considered 3 star review from a fellow author. If you are considering writing a book or struggling with the one you’re writing, this will give you all the tips you need to pen an enduring bestseller…91,000 words, 24 chapters in bite sized nuggets of wisdom plus Dee’s famous templates that you can use!
You may already know Dee as the author of The Ultimate Small Business Marketing Book. The Number 1 best-selling small business marketing book on Amazon. 156 five-star reviews. 87,000 words of practical marketing wisdom and tips that work. Now published by CITIC Publishing in China.
And author of The 15 Essential Marketing Masterclasses For Your Small Business, endorsed by The Chartered Institute of Marketing. The book has masses of new material on subjects essential to small businesses. Published by Wiley. 90 Five star reviews on Amazon with rave reviews in The Sun, Elite Business Magazine and winner of The BookBag nonfiction award and Talk Business Magazine ‘Best Business Book 2013’.
What we covered in the show:
- Why I’m now calling the podcast the magic of starting small
- A reminder that I’m looking for some ‘male business owner’ case studies – please let me know at Julie@microentrepreneur.biz if you know someone who has created a successful business
And then on to Dee with:
- How we see ourselves is not always how others see us
- Start with sharing what you know and the money and visibility will follow (not the other way round)
- Her journey from self-publishing to being sought after by Wiley
- The things Dee learnt – including finding her ‘confident’ voice, the importance of cover design and format
- Why it’s important to study the craft but it’s still okay to be “perfectly imperfect”
- Know why you’re writing your book – what’s your big idea?
- Why planning the book is so important – gather your material first – give it the head space it deserves
- Be prepared wherever you are, to note down your inspiration
- Why you need to call for help when you need it
- Start sharing it early e.g. on twitter, social media
- Let your work sit for a while to get a better perspective on what you’ve written
- The various routes to publishing including on-line and in book stores
- What you need to pay for and what you don’t
- Using the pool of freelance experts that are available
- Identify where your readers are and which platforms/places they hang out on
- Find out who is influential in your tribe and make connections early
- Get your book launch date locked in and get others to lock it in too
- Get your professional reviewers lined up early
You can find out more about Dee here:
Twitter @deeblick (her favourite social platform)
About the Podcast
The Micro Entrepreneur Podcast is your place to come and hear me talk about all things business for the micro business owner. I speak with experts, authors and other micro business owners and what they are doing to build and grow a successful micro business.
Subscribe to the podcast
For Apple users, you can click here to subscribe on iTunes
For Android and Windows users, you can click here to subscribe via Stitcher
Like the show? Please tell us on iTunes!
If you liked the show and found it valuable and you haven’t done so already I would really appreciate it if you took a minute to leave a quick rating or review of the podcast on iTunes by clicking on the link below! It will open up itunes on your computer and you can leave a rating by clicking on the ratings and reviews tab. It would be extremely helpful if you like the show! Click here to leave a review for the podcast! It will only take a second